Friday, September 6, 2013

Serendipity

ser·en·dip·i·ty

noun \ˌser-ən-ˈdi-pə-tē\
: the faculty or phenomenon of finding valuable or agreeable things not sought for; also : an instance of this 

I have never ceased being amazed, in my *mumblenumber* of years in this business, by this one simple fact of book dealing: serendipity abounds. A few days after starting this blog, Asa was asking me for ideas for posts. Every time I had an idea, I'd jot it down and promptly lose the note. Then this book came across the buying counter:

 
It's so cool. I love it. Full of ideas. Memory trip-wires. Perfect timing! And I can shove all my notes in it.

I had ramen for lunch, by the way, just in case you actually DO care.

Another example of serendipity:
I'm reading several books at once, as you do, so like most folks I use bookmarks. At the bookshop, I have a little rack filled with them, free for the taking, from which I draw - usually without even noticing what they look like.
The book I'm reading right this very minute is this:
I can honestly say, for me as a zen agnostic*, this is very entertaining.  In a laugh-out-loud, reminiscing, moving-to-tears, startling kinda way. But here's the serendipity thing - I opened it up just a minute ago to read a few pages and noticed the bookmark I've got in it, for the first time.

I know, right??? 
Like the Universe was peeking through the splitting side seams of my soul, picking out the four most meaningful words to me, right this very minute, and shouting them back right in my face. Wow, indeed.  As Dame Edna used to say, "SPOOKY."

Of course, tomorrow I may have four entirely different words be uppermost in mind, like Balance, Sleep, Driving, and Cheese. Who knows. We'll see.

*zen agnostic: I'm not sure, but I'm cool with that.

No comments: